Wednesday, June 30, 2010

In The Woods by Tana French (2)


As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

Warning this review does have spoilers in it ...... So read at your own peril ........

Well I was sooooo excited for this book and boy was I disappointed ... I got totally hooked when I read the back cover and couldn't wait to dive in ........ Then all I can say is GRRRRRRRR .... I hate to give a bad review especially when it is from my home country of Ireland but seriously ........ GRRRRRRRRRRR ..................

I felt the book was seriously two long ......... With about 200 pages too long ....... I honestly didn't have to know every single detail of Ryan's Day from what he had for breakfast to when he took his smoke breaks ........ I felt that the title of the book was misleading as it touches on Ryan's story to be only left high and dry ..... It should have been called "The Stone Alter" or something .... Something that had to do with the recent murder and not about Ryan ....

I know that some authors like not to wrap every storyline up with a pretty bow but come on ... I felt like Tana French came up with a good situation and just either couldn't be bothered telling us what actually happened or she can't really explain it herself ..... The whole purpose of this novel is what happened to the three kids 'In the Woods" and do we ever find out ....... NO ..... again with the GRRRRRRRRRR .................

Although the other murder gets solved you are left with a empty feeling at the end abit like Homer Simpson 'Duh' .......... When you realise you have finished the book and nothing is explained ..... And I hasten to add over 500 pages worth of small print .... I even thought I had missed something when I was reading and went over some of the pages again ...... But sadly know ...... I then thought maybe it may be explained in the second novel but reading the reviews of that I found it is not explained there either but if anything it leaves you wondering about Ryan's Partner Cassie with yet more questions ....

There has been mixed views about this book it seems you either love it or hate it .... And unfortunately I am leaning towards the dislike end ........ Which is a real shame because it had sooo much potential ..... And be warned there is alot of swearing throughout the novel ...

So if you don't mind a good mystery as in you never find out what is going on ..... This book is for you ........ The first 1/3 of the book is really good and then it sort of fizzles out ...... A shame .....

I rate this book 2 **

Books in order to read
In the Woods
The Likeness

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails